Are you aware of how many folks are visiting your blog every month? If not…I’ll tell you why knowing these statistics are super important!!! In this step-by-step tutorial, I will show you exactly how to connect Google Analytics to your blog and the 7 ways Google Analytics helps your blog grow stronger.
This blog post will show you:
- How to set-up a new Google Analytics account
- How to install a plugin on your blog
- How to connect Google Analytics to your blog
7 Wonderful Ways Google Analytics Helps your Blog & Business Grow Stronger:
- Shows the number of visitors to your website
- Lists your pageviews; how many folks are finding your blog
- What pages or blog posts visitors like the most
- Where the traffic is coming from — Pinterest, Twitter or finding your blog online organically
- Blog posts or pages that are the most engaging
- How to improve your search and get found online faster
- Top countries of visitors who view your blog (and segmenting views by country)
- And much, much more!
Google Analytics will tell you how to improve your blog, what’s working and not working, posts people like the most, and where your traffic is coming from. This will help you focus on improving your blog and getting faster results when growing your blog traffic.
The easiest way to connect Google Analytics to your blog is to add a plugin to WordPress. Even if forget to look at your statistics in Google Analytics, your can view your dashboard directly in WordPress!6 ways Google Analytics can improve SEO on your blog! Click To Tweet
How to Connect Google Analytics to Your Blog
For this tutorial, I did a quick video to you show you how to connect Google Analytics to your blog. For folks who like to read, I wrote out the steps below the video tutorial! Check it out!
Step-by-step tutorial to Connect Google Analytics to your Blog or Website:
1. Login to WordPress
2. Download the Google Analytics for WordPress by Monster Insights
3. View the “Insights” plugin in your WordPress Dashboard
Now that you have the MonsterInsights Google Analytics plugin installed…you will find it on the left-hand side in WordPress. You will notice that the plugin needs to be connected to your Google Analytics account. So that’s next!
4. Go to Google Analytics and Create a New Account
Go to Google Analytics and start a new account (if you haven’t already). If you are completely new to Google Analytics you will need to SIGN UP FOR FREE with your Gmail account.
Once you are logged in, on the left-hand side of your screen at the very bottom is ADMIN. Click the ADMIN > Create New Account and fill in the fields as follows:
- Account Name (your blog or website name)
- Website Name (same as above)
- Website URL (blog URL)
- Industry Category (choose one)
- Your Time Zone
- Under Data Sharing Settings (keep all boxes checked)
- Get tracking ID (you need to remember this!)
Now that you have added your new account to Google Analytics, you will need to connect your accounts together. Please have your Tracking ID ready for the next step!
5. Connect your Google Analytics to your WordPress Website
Go back to WordPress > Insights > Settings. Click on the button “Authenticate with your Google Account”. Make sure you are logged into Google Analytics so the plugin auto-magically connects with the MonsterInsights plugin. You can also manually add your Google Analytics Tracking ID (I show you all the steps in the above video tutorial).
6. View your Google Analytics in your WordPress Blog
If you started a new account with Google Analytics, it will take 24-48 hours for the statistics to show up in your WordPress blog. To view your Google Analytics… go to WordPress > Insights > Dashboard.
And voila! You can view your Google Analytics account in your WordPress Dashboard. This way you’ll get a quick snapshot of your Google Analytics statistics on your WordPress blog. The free MonsterInsights plugin does not show ALL the statistics. If you’re interested in comparing the paid versus free version of the MonsterInsights plugin click here.How to easily connect Google Analytics to your Blog: step-by-step tutorial Click To Tweet
So that’s it! I hope this step-by-step tutorial on how to connect google analytics to your blog was SUPER helpful! If you’re looking for more tutorials or need more tech help…fill out the quick Tech Survey and I will answer your questions in our Weekly FB Live and on the blog!
What’s your favorite thing about Google Analytics? Leave a comment below!
Take Action Now (Homework!)
- Download and install Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights
- Create a New Account in Google Analytics
- Connect Google Analytics to your blog
Resource List (Bonus)
- Click the link to download Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights
- Improve your search and SEO for your blog with Yoast plugin