START A WORDPRESS BLOG FROM SCRATCH
Starting a WordPress Blog can be stressful, especially figuring out the tech stuff. Don’t give up! This beginner’s guide will show you the step-by-step tech tutorial on how to start your WordPress Blog.
This How To Tech Tutorial will show you how to get your blog up and running, even if you’ve NEVER blogged before.
If you need more help, sign up for my free Start a Blog Email Course.
– You could conquer the tech stuff… and get your blog up & running quickly!
– You didn’t need to look at your Coming Soon landing page anymore.
– You could start your online business and share your knowledge and expertise.
– You could quickly and easily start a WordPress blog!
So, let’s get started!
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO START A WORDPRESS BLOG
STEP 1: Brainstorm your Domain Name
- Research your domain name.
- Check your domain name availability.
- Buy your domain name.
STEP 3: Shop for your WordPress Theme
- Go shopping for WordPress Blog Theme.
– Free Themes on WordPress.org
– StudioPress Themes
– WordPress Themes on my Pinterest Board
- Purchase/Download your WordPress Theme.
STEP 4: Install your WordPress Blog
- Install the WordPress software on your Domain Name.
- Login to your New WordPress Blog.
- Install your Theme (you just downloaded on Step 3) on your New WordPress Blog.
- Install your Plugins (download my recommended list of plugins).
- Set your Permalinks. Go to Settings > Permalinks. Make sure the Custom Structure box is checked.
STEP 5: Customize the Design on your WordPress Blog
- Customize your Theme Settings. Login to your WordPress admin, go to Appearance > Themes > Customize. (Please note: your Theme Settings may vary depending on the theme you selected, but it’s usually under the Appearance menu.)Customize the look and feel of your blog, including – uploading your logo, choose your color scheme, add a background image, choose your layout, pick fonts and more! Have fun…this is where you add your style!
- Add Social Media links such as Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest to your blog.
- Add Copyright text to the bottom/footer area, such as:
© Copyright YEAR by BLOGWEBSITENAME.COM
- Design your Sidebar (Widget Area). In WordPress admin, go to Appearance > Widgets > Sidebar. You may customize your sidebar by adding author information, links to posts, search bar and more!
- Display your Blog Posts on your home page. In WordPress admin, go to Settings > Reading > Select Front Page Display > Your Latest Posts.
- Don’t be discouraged if your site design isn’t that great at first… it takes time to learn the design part 🙂
STEP 6: Add your Blog Posts
- Add your Blog Posts to WordPress. Login to your WordPress admin, go to Posts > Add New. In your blog post, make sure to add: title, content, categories, tags and Save your Draft (until you’re ready to publish).
- Edit your Post. Next you need to review your blog post for spelling, grammar check and overall readability.
- Publish your Post. Read your post one last time… and hit the publish button!
STEP 7: Review & Publish your Blog!
- Review the pages and blog posts in your site. Publish all the posts/pages that are ready (Keep your other posts in Draft).
- Do an overall grammar check of your entire blog.
- Make sure the design looks good on all pages and posts.
Your Blog is LIVE… now tell everyone you know. And, most importantly, create an editorial calendar and start posting to your blog as consistently as possible.
Action Steps to Start a WordPress Blog
- Brainstorm your Domain Name
- Choose your Hosting
- Shop for your WordPress Theme
- Install your WordPress Blog
- Customize the Design on your WordPress Blog
- Add your Blog Posts
- Review & Publish your Blog!
“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” —Nelson Mandela