How to Install WordPress Plugins
Below is the step-by-step guide on how to install WordPress plugins. This post will educate you about how to research and find new plugins, how to install and add WordPress plugins to your website, and what you need to know about maintaining your WordPress plugins.
Plus a free downloadable list of my recommended WordPress plugins. I’m a web designer that works in WordPress everyday, and have developed this list through trial and error.
Make sure to set aside extra time to get this completed, and have time to focus on these steps.
What are WordPress Plugins, anyway?
“WordPress plugins are bits of software that can be uploaded to to extend and expand the functionality of your WordPress site.” —iThemes
Why You Need WordPress Plugins
- Extends functionality of your website
- Adds features and add-ons to your blog
- Customizes your website
- Increases security and maintenance
- Makes your site work better!
HOW TO RESEARCH, INSTALL AND MAINTAIN
WORDPRESS PLUGINS (STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE)
If you have a specific feature you would like to add to your website, you may need to research and add a plugin to your WordPress site. Also I will show you how to install WordPress plugins.
Let’s say you want to add a Custom Calendar to your website, so your customer knows when your next event is coming up. Go to wordpress.org to research and look for the plugin you need.
HOW TO RESEARCH + FIND YOUR PLUGINS
What you need to look for…when shopping for a WordPress Plugin:
- Updated: Is the plugin updated frequently? (such as, last updated one week ago)
- Downloaded: Are there plenty of downloads? (such as, 10,000+ users)
- Supported: Does the plugin have support or a forum? It’s a bonus if the plugin has a support page / forum with their plugin in case you get stuck.
- Reviewed: Does the Plugin work correctly? What do folks have to say about the plugin…make sure the reviews are mostly favorable.
Sometimes when you’re trying a new plugin, it requires trial and error. And you may need to download several plugins until you find the right one. But if you follow the guidelines above, it should make things easier.
HOW TO INSTALL WORDPRESS PLUGINS
Step-by-step guide for how to install WordPress plugins:
1. Login to your new WordPress Blog
- Type the url: http://yourdomainname/wp-admin
- Type in your WordPress username and WordPress password (from above)
2. Research + Download your Plugins
- Go to wordpress.org to research and find your plugins.
To look for plugins, click on this link to go to WordPress.org.
- Download your WordPress Plugins.
- Download my recommended plugins and add all of the plugins to your WordPress Blog.
Click Here to Download a List of Recommended Plugins for WordPress
3. Upload + Install WordPress Plugins
- Upload your WordPress Plugins to your blog one at a time
(go to Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin)
- Choose file (your plugin) > Install Now
- Once the plugin is installed, be sure to Activate your plugin
- Repeat the steps until you have uploaded, installed and activated all plugins
- And that’s it!
Pay Attention to your Plugins!
WordPress plugins are a great way to add functionality to your site, but you need to pay attention to them. Sometimes they can act buggy or cause your website to misbehave.
Since I’m a web designer, I see many of the challenges of installing and maintaining WordPress plugins.
For example, I launched a website for my client and all of a sudden I got logged out of the website. I needed to uninstall then reinstall a security plugin in order to “fix” the code and the website. If your website is acting strange, it’s a good idea to troubleshoot your plugins.
You need to pay attention to your plugins and how they affect your website or blog. If something seems wrong, troubleshoot the problem. Don’t ignore it.How to Research, Install, and Maintain your WordPress Plugins Click To Tweet
Here are a couple tips for maintaining your plugins:
- Review your plugins on a regular basis; Have they been updated by the programmer recently? Old or outdated plugins need to be replaced with new ones.
- Update your plugins ALL.THE.TIME; Review your website after you update plugins to make sure your site is still working correctly**Quick Tip: Update your plugins one at a time, then you will know the plugin that is causing problems
(if something goes wrong)
- Troubleshoot your plugin issues; If your website is misbehaving, often it’s due to an outdated plugin. Use commons sense and troubleshoot your issue. Don’t ignore it! And most importantly, don’t panic. If needed you can always uninstall all of your plugins one at a time until you find the issue.
1. Research your WordPress Plugins
2. Install your WordPress Plugins
3. Install my Recommended Plugins
4. Maintain your WordPress Plugins
“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” —Nelson Mandela
What plugins do you use to keep your website up & running? I’d love to know!
Disclaimer: These are simply my recommendations based on personal success in my web design business.Looking for more WordPress Tutorials and website advice? Leave a comment and let me know.