At the end of this WordPress tutorial, you will learn how to easily add a Google Calendar to your website. Every time you update your Google Calendar…your events will be automatically displayed on your website page or blog post.
Here are a couple ways you can use a Google Calendar on your website or blog:
STEP-BY-STEP WORDPRESS TUTORIAL FOR ADDING A GOOGLE CALENDAR TO YOUR WORDPRESS WEBSITE OR BLOG:
1. Go to your Google Calendar and create a calendar just for your blog (you don’t want to show your personal stuff!)
– Be sure to set the settings for your Google Calendar to public
– Hover over your calendar > calendar settings > share this calendar
– Check the box share this calendar with others > Make this calendar public
2. Go go plugins and download and install the Simple Calendar – Google Calendar Plugin on your WordPress website or blog
3. Go to Simple Calendar on your WordPress site and add a new calendar (be sure to save the calendar) and Google Calendar ID
– Under calendar settings (scroll toward the bottom) and click on the Google Calendar
– Add your Google Calendar ID (looks something like: email@example.com)
How to find your Google Calendar ID (hint: go back to your Google Calendar):
– Go back to your Google Calendar > Hover over your calendar > calendar settings > calendar details
– Scroll toward the bottom of the Calendar Details page (make sure it’s the calendar you want!) and look for your Calendar ID
– Calendar ID example (Calendar ID: firstname.lastname@example.org)
– Again, make sure the calendar settings are set to PUBLIC
– Go back and cut and paste the Calendar ID to your Simple Calendar – Google Calendar Settings in your WordPress website
But wait… you’re not done! Now you need to grab an API code to make the Google Calendar work correctly.
4. Add your Google API key to your Simple Calendar on your site
– Under Simple Calendars in WordPress > go to Settings and find your Google API key
– Note: If you’ve never added a Google API key it may seem a little scary. But it’s not as hard as it looks!
Follow the step-by-step instructions on the link to add a Google API key:
– Click here for the steps to getting an API Key for Simple Calendar
– Once you have your API key, go back under Simple Calendars in WordPress in your settings (shown above)…and cut and paste the newly created API key.
Now you’re finally ready to add your page or post!
5. Add your Calendar to your WordPress website page or blog post
– Go to Calendars > All Calendars
– Copy and paste the short code for the calendar. Looks something like: [calendar id=”343″] – Add a new page > Insert your code, for example [calendar id=”343″].
And voila…Success! You have just added a Google Calendar to your WordPress website or blog. But of course, you need to troubleshoot and make sure everything is working correctly. If you see any errors once you publish the site, you will need to do a bit of fixing.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh…the joy of figuring out this WordPress Tutorial Tech Stuff!!!
Resource List Bonus 🙂
- Download the Google Calendar Plugin here
- Learn how to add a Google API key to your site (some serious techie stuff)
- For some other calendar options: 6+ Best Free WordPress Google Calendar Plugins
- How to Update and Maintain your Blog or Website (WordPress Tutorial)